Equipment

Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)

Close
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)
Saint George's Castle (Castelo de São Jorge)


  Accessible

The St. George’s Castle dates from the 10th and 11th centuries and was captured from the Moors by King Afonso Henriques, in 1147.
In order to promote a better understanding of this monument two areas and environments have been created:

The Museological Unit is divided into three large rooms in the remaining building of the former Royal Palace of Alcáçova.

The Hall of Columns houses the Islamic period collection, mainly consisting of artefacts discovered in the 11th century alcazar located adjacent to the Castle.

The Cistern Hall houses the collections of other periods, from the Iron Age (the period from which the earliest remains date) through the Middle Ages, when the Paço da Alcáçova and ancillary buildings occupied the whole of the walled enclosure, to the 18th century, when the 1755 earthquake destroyed a great part of the structure.

The Ogival Hall houses the reception and services areas. The Museum aims to explain the many cultures that have contributed to the construction of the city from the 7th century A.D. to the 18th century.

The Archaeological Unit inaugurated on March 18, 2010 and located in the Praça Nova of the Castle zone, includes an architectural project by the architect, Carrilho da Graça, intended to protect the museum zone of archaeological ruins.
After painstaking work by the team of archaeologists, visitors can now admire vestiges from three major periods in the history of the Castle of São Jorge: Iron Age dwellings, (7th century-3rd century B.C.); Islamic Neighbourhood, (11th-12th century), with streets and building foundations; a 15th-18th century Palace - vestiges of the Palace of the Counts of Santiago built on the foundations of the former Bishops’ Palace.

You can also visit the Periscope in the Tower of Ulysses


Opening hours

Nov 1 - Febr 28: 9am-6pm; Mar 1 - Oct 31: 9am-9pm


Transport

Bus: 37
Tram: 12E, 28E

Contact

  +351 218 800 620
castelodesaojorge.pt/en

Location

Castelo de São Jorge, Torres do Castelejo
Lisboa

Region: Santa Maria Maior

Coordenates: 
Date of update:
2019