Cultura e Lazer, Santa Maria Maior, Visitar

Inauguration Of "Cerca Velha" Pedestrian Route

29, September 2014
  • [Translate to Inglês:] Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
    [Translate to Inglês:] Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
  • Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
    Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
  • Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
    Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
  • Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha
    Inauguração do Percurso pedonal da Cerca Velha

Around “Cerca Velha” or "Cerca Moura" ("Old Wall" or "Moorish Wall"), which delimited and protected Lisbon during the Medieval Period, was created a pedestrian route that begins at Chão da Feira Street and goes on through Alfama, Castelo and Sé. 

The route, with a length of 1.500 meters, follows the layout of "Cerca Velha" - classified as national heritage in 1910 under the name of "S. George Castle and the remains of Lisbon's Walls" - was inaugurated on September 26th, under the European Heritage Conference, with the presence of Councillor for Culture of Lisbon's Municipality, Mrs Catarina Vaz Pinto. 

Sixteen informational totems, in a circular route, with free access between Chão da Feira Street and Milagre de Sto. António Street, guide the discovery of one of the older areas of Lisbon through the defensive medieval system which endured until the build of Fernandina Wall (1373-1375). 

Historical and Archeological research, started in 1999 and now concluded by Lisbon Museum/Casa dos Bicos Archeological Nucleus and by Lisbon Archeology Centre, grants a new contribution to "our collective memory", stated Councillor Catarina Vaz Pinto, which recognized publicly the commitment of the municipal technicians in the completion of a work largely sustained by the works of Lisbon Scholar Augusto Vieira da Silva. 

One of the reference points of this route, with a duration of about 50 minutes, is "Casa dos Bicos" (House of Beaks), which includes a large part of the old roman wall. In the building by "Portas do Mar", built between 1521 and 1532, it is presently located the Saramago Foundation, a place provided by Lisbon Municipality in 2008. 

Miss Pilar del Rio, president of the Foundation, welcomed the guests of the archaeological nucleus inaugurated this year, which "contains memories where remnants of several periods, around 2.000 years, intersect each other. 

 

Lisbon Cerca Velha Route: Chão da Feira Street / Dom Fradique Yard/ Porta do Sol / Norberto de Araújo Street /  Alfama Gate / São Pedro Tower / São Pedro Wicket / Chafariz d´el Rei Gate / Furadouro Gate / Marquês do Lavradio Wicket / Conceição Arch / House of Beaks / Sea Gate / Iron Gate / Alfofa Gate